10.06.2011

Back

Has been a while since I posted on here so I thought I better hop back on here.  I have been keeping up with a few blogs out there that tickle my fancy and it seems that everyone is doing well.

The trip back home for Dad's memorial and graveside service was as good as it could be.  Dad had some good friends and it was good to see all of them even though the situation wasn't the best.  Several of my old friends came too - guys that my dad has known since they were kids too, boys who are now men because of the things guys like my dad taught them through Boy Scouts and the shooting sports.

My brother and I are heading back there again in a week to help Mom with some more chores around the place and to help her with moving and shuffling things around. We will be driving back to Washington afterwards and I am looking forward to that road trip with my brother.

As anyone who has lost someone close knows, some days are easier than others.  I have lost track of how many times a day I think of something or see something that I want to tell Dad about.  It hurt like an icepick to the soul up until fairly recently - now it puts a smile on my face because these things will always remind me of Dad - old International Harvester trucks, beautiful side-by-side shotguns, how he appreciated the sheer classic beauty of a 1911 Colt and how he passed that on to his sons, how happy he was when he got to see my pup Sage, and I think of him when I smell my old waxed cotton Barbour jacket and on and on.  He left me with an appreciation of many strange and wonderful things and I will forever be grateful for that.  Thanks Dad.

.

4 comments:

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Stay strong and dwell on those good memories.

I know how rough it all is.

Take care my friend.

Wilson said...

Take care Jason, it gets better.

Crucis said...

Jason, give me a holler when y'all get back to KC. We can all go out to my gun club and you can exercise that Colt.

Jason said...

Crucis - I will be back there on the 14th, staying for the week - it would be great to get together and throw some lead downrange.