7.01.2011

Doomsday Preppers

Did you catch Doomsday Preppers on the National Geographic Channel the other night, right after the hour long show on Ronnie Barrett and the Barrett rifle called Sniper, Inc.?  What the heck is going on with NatGeo channel??!!  I am A-OK with their programming choices, but I am kind of surprised.  Here is a link to the first of fourYouTube videos that make up the Doomsday Preppers show.  Here are Part 2 and Part 3 and Part 4.

I liked the show, learned quite a few things and was generally ok with how they portrayed folks that are stocking up on food, water, supplies, precious metals, firearms, medical supplies etc.  I really hope that being on that show is not going to impact the lives of the folks they showed.  The families and individuals on the show made a choice to show off all their stuff, reveal quite a bit about themselves and violate the basic principals of operation security, but it was their choice.  

I was pretty impressed with all four groups - but got a little cringy at the first family preparing for the Coronal Mass Ejection scheduled for 2012 (or 2013) and the single mom getting big pallets of food delivered to her home on the cul-de-sac at O Dark Thirty by a semi truck so the neighbors won't notice....

After reading a few forums and seeing what kind of feedback the show got, I discovered that the two guys that have the great house on 55 acres in South Carolina with the wood gas truck and all the security and supplies are pretty well known and have quite a collection of videos up on YouTube with lots of reviews and how-to's.  Their channel is under their user name on YouTube called SouthernPrepper1.  That will definitely keep me busy on a rainy day or two - which we have had quite a few of lately!  Summer doesn't really start here until after the 4th of July anyhow..

I watched one of the SouthernPrepper videos and discovered that LDS puts out a Preparedness Manual that is free for downloading.  (Lots of locations out there to download it, this is the one I used). I am pretty impressed with the manual and will add it to my collection.

So, hope all is well out there!  Take care.

.

No comments: